Bacon Feta Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 cups (12 ounces) dry elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk, preferably 2%
- 1 1/3 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Feta Cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Provolone Cheese, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices bacon, fried, diced and divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk and whisk until well combined. Bring mixture to gentle boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Add 2/3 cup Feta Cheese and Provolone Cheese to milk mixture; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until Provolone has melted (Feta won’t fully melt). Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add drained pasta to sauce mixture and toss to coat; add 3/4 of diced bacon and toss. Pour mixture into buttered 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining diced bacon and Feta Cheese. Move oven rack three racks below broiler and set oven to broil on high, cook macaroni under hot broiler until Feta Cheese is golden brown, 1 – 3 minutes, watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Serve warm.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy